Sunday, April 21, 2013

Synthesis Paper


Danielle Kent
Alisha Geary
English 4950
16 January 2013

Synthesis Paper: How My Course Studies as an English Major
Have Prepared Me for the Big World

Following is the description of what English Majors can expect to learn, as found on the English and Literature Department page of UVU's website:

The English & Literature Department offers a wide variety of fascinating and challenging classes in writing, literature, and critical theory. English students engage with texts in multiple ways and at multiple levels—reading, analyzing, and discussing literature ranging from the classical to the contemporary, but also producing their own critical and creative work.  English courses broaden students’ cultural awareness, deepen and refine their critical thinking abilities, and enhance their skills in written and verbal communication. 

            Looking back at my academic progression, it is fulfilling to realize my experience has closely followed this description. As I moved out of my General Education courses and began focusing on my English courses, each new class renewed my resolve of being an English Major. I couldn't imagine being more interested in any other subject. My English courses during any given semester always tied in to each other, even with classes that seemed distantly related, such as Technical Communication and Visual Rhetoric. Principles I learned in each class consistently strengthened and supported principles learned in other classes.
            In my opinion, every English course has something to do with portrayals of humanity and perceptions of reality. To me there can be nothing more fulfilling or spiritual to study, or more necessary to understand meaning within a wider range of fields.
According to the English Department course description, “English students engage with texts in multiple ways and at multiple levels—reading, analyzing, and discussing literature”. Studying within the emphasis of Literature at first, I was obviously exposed to texts from multiple periods and multiple cultures. Naturally, I began studying Critical Theory around the same time. I remember those first Literature classes when I began to read texts more critically, getting more out of them than I had ever believed was there to get.
            Studying literature in this way was the beginning of a spiritual awakening as I began to see humanity through text in conflicting ways. I loved the ethical conundrums of perceiving concepts and moral issues, even in fiction. I developed a curiosity and passion for defining reality and truth in different ways. This coincided naturally with mini existential and identity crisis, which I believe most college students experience. I was reminded of the phase in junior high, when you begin to realize that you're an individual person and respond to that knowledge by acting emotional, awkward, and obnoxious 95% of the time. But this time, as a college student pushing my mind to new limits, it wasn't an identity crisis based on how many friends I had or how other people regarded me, but rather a crisis of what I believed in and wanted to be passionate about. I always seemed to feel overwhelmed and inspired (I still do).
            I've had Brian Whaley now for two classes of British Literature. In each, he showed so much passion and reverence for everything to do with the text: the author's perspective and aim, the acts and decisions of the characters, and the ambiguity of morality and truth. Even when talking solely about a text, Dr. Whaley has a way of making you think about issues in universal perspectives; not taking what is written as truth but seeing what truth there is in it.
            I started to see text not just as stories or commentaries, but representative of deeper issues of the human condition and our psychology. I started to become aware of rhetoric, propaganda, and relativity in things that I had formerly just accepted to exist. Every new class blew my mind in some way or another, and my curiosity and desire to continue having my mind blown in new ways kept me coming back each semester with nerdish excitement.
            The course description states that English students also engage in "producing their own critical and creative work". During my junior year, I assigned myself the minor of Creative Writing. Even though I forewent graduating with this minor, creative writing is still a huge passion for me, and the classes I took taught me a lot about myself.  My courses in Creative Writing helped me hone in on my personal identity, as well as teaching me to become a better writer. I wrote poetry that I surprisingly considered to be half-decent. I wrote non-fiction about my personal experiences that I was able to look at critically, offering therapeutic revelations about who I was and am. I started to feel more confident in what I could produce and in my own critical perspective. And in beginning to discover my own, I believe I grew more open to the perspectives of others.
            Taking classes that taught me to write in different ways — rhetorically, technically, professionally, creatively — has obviously made me a better writer and communicator. I began to see communication as a power! Not just as something you do without thinking. Perhaps it leads me to overthink things too often, but there is a unique pride that comes with that. Being so curious about rhetoric, I switched my emphasis to Writing Studies late in my junior year.
            I took Critical Theory from Gae Lyn Henderson in Fall 2010. As I said, getting into more critical perspectives was a spiritual and mind-blowing experience. I so appreciated her for her style of teaching, for her passion for developing our perspectives and "broadening our cultural awareness".  I would later take Rhetorical Theory and Public Rhetorics and Popular Media from her (and yes, her being the professor was a major influence in choosing to take those classes). Even though I already felt like a pretty open-minded person by that point, she helped me deconstruct every taboo I still clung to and probably elicited the most passion out of me as a student.
(As a side note, my favorite definition of rhetoric comes from Kenneth Burke: “Rhetoric is rooted in an essential function of language itself, a function that is wholly realistic and continually born anew: the use of language as a symbolic means of inducing cooperation in beings that by nature respond to symbols.”)
As I've mentioned, a lot of my studies involved developing broader perspectives. Studying a foreign language enlightens this development, and I am so grateful for the (required) opportunity I had to broaden my perspectives further. I chose to study Spanish. I'm not sure at what point one can call oneself bilingual, but I think I'm pretty darn close. Learning another language is all about perspective for me. When I describe to people what I love about learning Spanish, I always use this example: In Spanish, a phrase used to convey the rejection of a suitor is "dar calabazas." It means, to give pumpkins. Now, I haven't done my research as to why giving pumpkins equates rejecting a suitor... but it forces a recall of the parallel phrases in English, and a realization that meaning doesn't always have to do with the words, but what the words, as symbols, convey in meaning.
In my Public Rhetorics and Popular Media class, I was introduced to Jacques Ellul, who declared that, "a person subjected to propaganda does not remain intact or undamaged: not only will his opinions and attitudes be modified, but also his impulses and his mental and emotional structures" (161). Most, or perhaps all texts, I would argue, have some rhetorical or propagandic aim (I realize I just invented the word "propagandic"). This was shocking to me! Being exposed to any kind of cultural text taints those that come across it. Being critically equipped to analyze this influence seemed like a moral obligation to me.
In this same class, we read Half the Sky by Kristof and Wudunn. It made me feel disappointed in myself for not holding myself more accountable to actively seek out higher knowledge and awareness about the experiences of other human beings. I remember asking myself questions like: How can I justify eating pork, when a pig is just as smart or smarter than my pet dog? How can I feel envy for a friend's new car, when there are young girls being sold into sex slavery? Again, I was ever focused on the concept of perspective.
            Studying philosophers like Foucault and Derrida was huge for me, and obviously helped to further "deepen and refine my critical thinking abilities".. Derrida actually got me spinning off into a bout of precious depression. Deconstruction was religious to me, for a while, until I learned to take a different approach to it: Instead of seeing everything as meaningless (which is the perspective I took for a while), I realized that perspective was a choice.  If nothing can be proved or defined definitely, then I can choose whatever version of reality I want. Granted, if I chose to believe in a reality where robbing banks was a good thing, my natural consequence would be to be sent to prison. But if I could manipulate my perspective, why not choose to see things positively, compassionately, and full of infinite potential?
            Another philosopher we studied in Dr. Henderson's class was Joe Sachs, who said something I really liked: “Since artful rhetoric is not manipulation into conclusion but the showing of evidence for them, the study of the art requires seeing what is available to be shown” (121). I love thinking of rhetoric and communication as an art form. To be able to see and show what there is to be seen and shown in this world requires an exquisite communicator; one who knows how to look and observe until they see all the parts of a thing. I want to see as much of what is available to be shown in this life as possible, and that, to me, has everything to do with perspective. To go along nicely with that is something Foucault says, obviously another great philosopher I had the pleasure of studying, that there is “always an exact coincidence between belief and truth” (14). Thoughts like this solidify my feelings about choice and the power of choosing my own perspective.
            In my most recent semesters, I've been studying more digital forms of writing and communication. I've enjoyed this because of its practicality in learning how to communicate effectively in today's culture. It's been a good wrap-up of my academic career, as I've been able to see and practice the kinds of things I'll need to be savvy in for career settings. I've recently started working as an intern with a company that does a variety of work for clients that relies almost solely on digital media and platforms for communication.
            I've developed skill sets that make me an asset to this company. As an intern, I'm helping them with edits, book compilations, and have been able to pick up copywriting and marketing techniques more easily. Having a rhetorical perspective enables me to think critically about a particular purpose or aim, and dive into new projects confidently and deliver good content. While I don't think I'm taking well to the "deadlines" and "we need to suck as much money out of this world that we can" perspective of this company, it's empowering to know that I can hack it, and fascinating to see myself grow and improve in new areas.
            Working in this kind of business setting can be challenging of my world perspective, and make me wonder whether I should choose to continue my education or hop on board with some business so I can start making as much money as I can. When I feel overwhelmed or discouraged with a society that seems to center on money and manipulation, I take comfort in something Douglas Rushkoff says: "Faced with a networked future that seems to favor the distracted over the focused, the automatic over the considered, and the contrary over the compassionate, it's time to press the pause button and ask what all this means to the future of our work, our lives, and even our species" (49). Even if no one else seems to be pressing the pause button to consider deeper meanings, I take pride and comfort in the fact that I can and do.
            I'm still not exactly sure how I want to proceed with my life. But that's okay. I've learned that things come and change, and as they do, things fall into place and decisions become clearer. Whether I go on to work with the company I'm interning with for a while, or seek out grad school right away so that I can teach the subjects I've grown to be so passionate about, I feel very well equipped to pursue whatever career or life option that seems best for me. My English courses have taught me skill sets, sure, but more importantly; they have given me a disposition, if you will, for knowing myself and having a confident, malleable perspective. And it is this that I will value most and keep with me my whole life.




Works Cited

Ellul, Jacques. Propaganda: The Formation of Men's Attitudes. New York: Vintage, 1973. Print.
Foucault, Michel. “Fearless Speech”. Los Angeles: Semiotext(e), 2001. Print.
Rushkoff, Douglas. Program or Be Programmed. Berkeley: Soft Skull Press, 2011. Print.
Sachs, Joe. Plato gorgias and Aristotle Rhetoric. Massachusetts: Focus Publishing/
            R. Pullins Company, 2009. Print.






           

           





No comments:

Post a Comment